Sudanese Rights Group (Huqooq)
Human Rights Monitoring 3rd -30th September 2016 Sudan Report No: 11
- On the 22nd of September 2016, the Sudan’s Council of Ministers has approved new amendments to the Criminal Law of 1991, that submitted by the Minister of Justice, Awad Hassan Al-Noor, the general features of the new amendments according to the explanatory note attached considered tightening the punishment of the majority of the crimes, in addition introducing new legislations against female genital mutilation, riot with weapon possession, theft of private properties and night robbery, some of the new amendments including amendments to the recent amendments to the criminal law that were approved by the parliament in last January 2016, such as damaging the national economy crime, and apostasy (Rida) crime by changing the later article title, however, the cosmetic amendments deemed to repeal some of the cruel punishment such as lapidation (stoning) as a mean of execution in the case of commission of adultery by “married person” and replacing the punishment with hanging, furthermore repealing whipping punishment for rioting offence. The new amendments waiting for discussion and approval by the Parliament and the president assent to come into force. (Please find attached with this report unofficial translation of the amendments translated by Huqooq)
- On the 3rd of September 2016, the Constitutional Court in Khartoum upheld the High Court’s decision and acquitted the defendant Sami Mohammed, a police officer, from murdering Sarah Abdul Baqi Khider during the September 2013 protests.
Human Rights Violations Monitoring:
Freedom of Expression:
- On the 7th of September 2016, the National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS) with support of police and rapid support forces in El Fashir North Darfur State, invaded El Fashir University and dispersed a political forum organized by the united popular front (UPF), students wing of Sudan Liberation army movement (SLM), protesting against president Albashir visit to El Fashir. According to eyewitness told Huqooq that the forces were heavily armed, surrounded the university and used live ammunition to disperse the protesters, as a result number of students were injured among them Mohamed Abd Allah (Zorga), Motwakil Mohamed, student at the Faculty of Education at El Fashir University and Abd Alhakam, the NISS reportedly arrested Abd Alhakeem Azem Abd Alrazig student at the Faculty of Law -El Fashir University.
- On the 4th of September 2016, the Press and Publication Attorney, interrogated the chief editor of Al Jareeda newspaper Asharaf Abd Alaziz and Osman Shabona journalist at Al Jareeda newspaper in relation to a complaint filed by the police headquarter in Khartoum State, on the ground of publishing an article criticizing the police ill-treatment and insult of Hawa Rahama a woman journalist at Al Jareeda newspaper during a press coverage mission in Alshajara area. Journalist Shabona was released on bail on the same day (Source; HR journalist)
Protest Movement and Freedom of Assembly:
- On the 26th of September 2016, National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS) with support of the riot police forces in Khartoum, dispersed a peaceful sit in, in front of the Ministry of Justice buildings in Khartoum, organized by political opponents, civil society representatives and representatives of victims of September 2013 demonstrations, the security banned the protesters to hand over a petition to the Minister of Justice demanding investigation in the killing of September 2013 protesters and hold the perpetrators accountable. (Source: HR activist)
On the 30th of September 2016 at around 4:00pm, National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS) in Zalinji –Central Darfur state led by security officer named Hariri, arrested three students at Faculty of Education at Zalingi University and members of United Popular Front student’s wing of Sudan Liberation Movement/ Abd Alwahid Noor from Jabal Marra nursery gate north east Alshargi neighborhood in Zalinji, their whereabouts is unknown, the names of those arrested:
- Rashid Haroun Musa, 25 years old, in the fourth year at the faculty of education,
- Alrasheed Mohamed Haroun, 27 years old, in the fourth year at the faculty of education,
- Mohamed Adam 26 years old, in the fifth year at the faculty of education. (Source: HR activist)
- On the 8th of September 2016, police forces in Madani Al Jazeera State, arrested priests Samuel Suliman and Sami of the Anglican Church in Madani city with other group of people, all the arrested people were released on the same day. (Huqooq team was unable to obtain more information)
Darfur Region Violations:
- On the 29th of September 2016 at around 10:00 pm, three armed men shot dead the former commissioner of Baida locality of West Darfur State, chief of Dago tribe and a member of voluntary return committee, Gamal Ahmed Abd Aljabar, 54 years old in front of his house in Algadesyah neighborhood block 13 in Nayla, South Darfur State. The perpetrators escaped the crime scene using a vehicle without license plate. (Source: HR activist)
- On the 28th of September 2016, Agents of military intelligence beat and detained Ayoub Abakar Issa 32 years old and Hamdan Adam Issa 45 years old resident of Sony village from Deribat market in Darfur East Jebel Marra, they were taken to the Deribat military garrison the reason for the arrest unknown. (Source: HR activist)
- On the 26th of September 2016, three unidentified gunmen attacked and shot dead Ezzeldin Saad Abdelnabi in Nyala South Darfur State. Ezzeldin, an accountant working at the Wad Hajam Unit in El Radoum locality.
- On the 24th of September 2016, six members of National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS) using three motorcycles beat and arrested Mohamed Hassan a resident from Mokajar Internally Displaced Persons camp in Central Darfur, on the ground of his affiliation with armed movements.
- On the 19th of September 2016, unidentified (hooded) armed men attacked Idris Abdallah Bakhit 30 years old and shot him at his leg in front of his house in Khamsah Dagaigh neighborhood in Zalinji Central Darfur State.
- On the 19th of September 2016 at around 2:00 pm, rapid support forces and borders guards in Kutom locality north Darfur shot Abdalsalam Haroun (Folo) after he opposed the attackers looting and attack in the area between Kutum and El Fashir highway, Haroun sustained serious bullets injuries and now is receiving treatment.
- On the 17th of September 2016 at around 10:00 am, armed militia men, raided Donkey Baashim village, the attackers looted the village and killed more than six villagers and number of people reportedly sustained serious injuries. The names of those killed are:
- Aldouma Ibrahim Mohamed,
- Yousef Ibrahim Mohamed,
- Dereij Jido Adam,
- Omar Mohamed Mohamedein,
- Adam Mohamed Suliman Ahmed
- Mohieldeen Mohamed Hamid
- On the 16th of September 2016, armed militia men shot dead five young students in an attack in the area between Kass West of Nyala, and Dogenj villages in South Darfur State. The students were spending Eid al-Adha vacation with their families. The name of those killed are:
- Mohamed Osman Mohamed Salman 25 years,
- Bahreldin Mohamed 17 years,
- Mousa Abdel Karim Ibrahim Adam 17,
- Abdallah Salah Abdallah Jabbour 15 years,
- Hashim Ishag Adam 18 years, the reason of the attack is unknown.
Death Penalty and Cruel and Inhumane Punishment:
On the 25th of September 2016, Khartoum North Criminal Court sentenced 18 members of Elbazaa tribe to death and then crucifixion; after convicted of committing Hiraba crime under article 168 of the Criminal Law of 1991, by intentionally killing seven members of El Shanabla tribe and causing serious harm to other three persons. Among those convicted the chief of ElBazaa tribe and the deputy head of a rural court.